If you are seeking Maine state certification and/or licensure in the field of counseling, the information below will guide you in applying for your eligibility for these credentials.
After applying for your eligibility for licensure and/or certification, you may find that you require additional courses or internship credits to meet Maine state requirements. There are several options to fulfill those requirements through the University of Southern Maine (葡京游戏App) Counselor Education program:
- Enroll in our individual courses.
- Complete our Certificate of Advanced Study in Counseling.
- Obtain a Master of Science in Counseling Degree.
Review Credentialing Information:
The Maine Office of Professional & Financial Regulation has set forth requirements for licensure of mental health counselors in the State of Maine. Licensures include:
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC)
- At 葡京游戏App:
- Graduates of the Clinical Track within our Rehabilitation Counseling Concentration meet the Maine state requirements for LADC.
- With additional coursework through the Substance Abuse Area of Expertise, graduates of our Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration can also meet the Maine state requirements for LADC.
- At 葡京游戏App:
Maine State Licensing Requirements
There are resources for you to apply for Maine state licensing:
- 1) Review the applicable documentation of requirements:
- 2) Review this document: Educational Requirements Worksheet for Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors (LCPC)
- This document outlines 葡京游戏App courses, but may also be useful to graduates of other institutions.
- 3) You may also contact Adele Baruch, 葡京游戏App Counselor Education Program Chair.
- Please be aware that feedback from 葡京游戏App faculty does not represent the Licensing Board, but rather provides general guidelines to consider as you pursue licensure.
The Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) is an independent, not-for-profit organization that sets the standard for quality rehabilitation counseling services through its internationally recognized certification program. The CRC Certification Program is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). Individuals passing the certification examination become qualified a Certified Rehabilitation Counselors (CRC).
- At 葡京游戏App: Graduates of both the Clinical and the Vocational Tracks within our Rehabilitation Counseling Concentration meet the educational requirements for the CRC certification examination.
CRC Certification and Examination Application Process
You can review the links below for details about the CRC certification examination:
You may also contact Charlie Bernacchio, 葡京游戏App Coordinator of Rehabilitation Counseling, for additional information about CRC certification requirements.
To maintain the CRC designation, individuals are required to renew their certification every 5 years, either through re-examination or by meeting specific ongoing educational requirements.
School Counselor Certification is granted by the Maine Department of Education to individuals who have met certain standards. These standards require that candidates come from graduate counselor education programs that provide a wide range of experiences integrating theory and practice and prepare candidates to provide comprehensive developmental school counseling programs in schools.
- At 葡京游戏App: Graduates of our School Counseling Concentration meet the Maine state educational requirements to be certified as Professional School Counselors. Upon completion of the MS program, faculty will recommend your full certification status to the state.
Maine State Certification Requirements and Review
If you did not complete the MS in School Counseling Program at 葡京游戏App, the resources below will guide you in applying for eligibility:
- First, review: Policy & Procedures for Review of Credentials Pursuant to Eligibility for Certification as a Professional School Counselor
- Then, if you are eligible for Pathway #2, consult the following checklists:
Husson University provides Pathway 2 Certification Review for Maine school counselors. Please forward your materials to Dr. Deborah Drew, Husson University, 101E Darling Learning Center, 1 College Circle, Bangor, ME 04401. For questions contact their Administrative Assistant at (207) 941-7757 or their Program Director at email@example.com.